Technical Director - EnvironmentalApply Job ID JR-3161 Date posted 12/01/2022
Where Greatness Grows
The greatest achievements in history are borne from the greatness within people – where human potential meets vision, and passion fuels evolution. Unlocking this potential is the most important thing we do at Bird.
As a leader in Canadian construction for over 100 years, the impact of our team is etched deeply within the core of our legacy. Beyond Bird, this impact is felt in the fundamental aspects of our everyday lives. From the critical infrastructure we depend on, to the energy and resources that keep us moving - we are powering our communities and shaping Canada’s skylines coast-to-coast. Entrenched in the foundation of a culture built more than a century ago is an enduring quest to reimagine what is possible. Our impact is greater than ever, and we are looking for those who seek to redefine their story.
We are a dynamic team of over 5,000 with a range of professions, backgrounds, and areas of expertise. This breadth of diversity in people and opportunities is one of greatest aspects of building your career with Bird. Every trajectory looks different. At Bird, you hold the pen, and you write your story. As you unlock your potential, you are surrounded by a team that supports you every step of the way.
Be a part of our team, where we pride ourselves on the quality of our work and the way we treat each other and our partners. You will build a career and long-lasting relationships based on respect, collaboration, and a solution-focused mindset. Bird is a place where you will unlock your potential and achieve your goals.Reporting to the Vice President of Alternative Contracts & Light Industrial, this role will be the internal technical expert for projects related to environmental facilities, specifically in the water, wastewater, waste to energy, anaerobic digestion and renewable natural gas industries.
Two major components of this role will be project development and business development.
This position is based in the Edmonton office with travel to project sites as required.
- Promote sales to existing clients and identify and solicit potential clients
- Develop strong relations with key industry contacts
- Manage proposal preparation with the assistance of direct reports, proposal writing team, estimators and other operational staff
- Write proposals
- Manage early construction service type contracts
- Work closely with Engineering firms, our clients and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), from proposal and design conception through to construction and commissioning
- Assess clients' needs and resources and recommend the appropriate goods or services
- Provide input into project design involving interaction and collaboration with engineering firms, clients, and OEMs
- Develop reports and proposals as part of sales presentation to illustrate benefits from use of service
- Estimate costs of specific design and project details
- Assist with preparation and execution of overall work plan and schedule
- Assist with quality assurance and management of client expectations
- Prepare and administer sales contracts
- Consult with clients after sale to resolve problems and to provide ongoing support
- Troubleshoot technical problems related to project design and execution
- Provide safety leadership through implementation of the Bird Safety Program and monitoring the safety performance of the project team and subcontractors
- May supervise the activities of other technical staff as required
- A university degree or college diploma in an engineering or technical program related to Engineering, Construction, Civil, Electrical, and/or Mechanical required
- Experience in business development or in a technical occupation related to the engineering, and construction in the water, wastewater, waste to energy, anaerobic digestion and renewable natural gas industries required
- Competent with all Microsoft Office applications
- Design Build, Progressive Design Build or Integrated Project Delivery experience
- High level of organization and time management skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and client management skills
- Knowledge of standard health, safety, and environmental requirements and practices in the construction industry
- Drivers license and able to operate a motor vehicle required
- Travel may be required for this position up to 25%
We Put Safety First
A healthy and safe work environment is non-negotiable. We build a culture of operational and psychological safety through engagement, learning and leadership.
We Lead With Honesty
We speak and act with integrity, clarity and care so people can trust our word and our work. Being honest means we can deliver the best outcomes and consistent results.
We Are Stronger Together
Success is a team effort. Our inclusive workplace enables our combined expertise, humility and creativity to unlock our greater potential.
We Are Driven To Do Great Work
We built our name on quality. We have a passion for excellence in our work and relationships that honours our businesses and our industry.
We Create Opportunity
Rooted in a solid foundation, we adapt and grow to face the future. We are committed to elevating each other to chart the best path forward in an evolving world.