Construction ManagerApply Job ID JR-2860 Date posted 09/23/2022
Where Greatness Grows
The greatest achievements in history are borne from the greatness within people – where human potential meets vision, and passion fuels evolution. Unlocking this potential is the most important thing we do at Bird.
As a leader in Canadian construction for over 100 years, the impact of our team is etched deeply within the core of our legacy. Beyond Bird, this impact is felt in the fundamental aspects of our everyday lives. From the critical infrastructure we depend on, to the energy and resources that keep us moving - we are powering our communities and shaping Canada’s skylines coast-to-coast. Entrenched in the foundation of a culture built more than a century ago is an enduring quest to reimagine what is possible. Our impact is greater than ever, and we are looking for those who seek to redefine their story.
We are a dynamic team of over 5,000 with a range of professions, backgrounds, and areas of expertise. This breadth of diversity in people and opportunities is one of greatest aspects of building your career with Bird. Every trajectory looks different. At Bird, you hold the pen, and you write your story. As you unlock your potential, you are surrounded by a team that supports you every step of the way.
Be a part of our team, where we pride ourselves on the quality of our work and the way we treat each other and our partners. You will build a career and long-lasting relationships based on respect, collaboration, and a solution-focused mindset. Bird is a place where you will unlock your potential and achieve your goals.Reporting to the Construction Director, the Construction Manager is responsible to manage the overall planning, coordination and control of the project while focusing on the client’s requirements in order to produce a functionally and financially viable project.
This position is based in Edmonton, AB.
- Align construction crews with adequate supervision and provide daily work instructions to direct reports.
- Coordinate manpower movement within area of command and across multiple crafts.
- Ensure all internal processes and/or client business processes are communicated and followed by the appropriate level of supervision.
- Ensure employees are following all predetermined divisional processes and procedures set forth by the construction and planning teams to ensure all deficiencies are remediated.
- Work with the Superintendents to review and prepare needs assessments of equipment and materials and requisition required items.
- Read and interpret drawings and blueprints to determine construction plans. Identify and rectify any issues or questions pertaining to the documents.
- Monitor construction progress and performance. Adjust construction schedule accordingly.
- Provide recommendations to the Senior Construction Manager or Project Director.
- Work with Senior Construction Manager and/or Project Director on contracting strategy and scope of work definition.
- Evaluate/solve constructability and planning issues.
- Organize set up of site facilities.
- Plan, organize and directs the activities with area superintendents.
- Implement, develop and ensure the safety program is followed on site.
- Ensure personnel are working according to the main project schedule.
- Work corrective actions with client and engineering to address any actions resulting from punch lists.
- Work with Project Director to access any commissioning requirements.
- Prepare progress survey and reporting to Senior Management and Project Management detailing current project status.
- Ensure proper progressing from area of command is relayed to Project Controls.
- Attend meetings with the client as directed by the Senior Construction Manager or Project Director.
- Lead for weekly site safety meetings or daily tool box talks with crews.
- Lead daily planning meetings with Superintendents, Construction Planner and Discipline Planners to ensure the plan is on target.
- Work with Superintendents to ensure recovery plans are put in place to attain schedule.
- Participate in daily toolbox meetings with the direct field labour (rotating through the different disciplines.).
- Approve and submit any invoice/timesheets which have business unit expenditures to the appropriate project.
- Complete and submit any monthly summaries to the appropriate departments.
- Prepare and ensure all documentation is completed for any new hire and termination of staff, including any requisitions to hire, record of employments or separation forms.
- Review and sign off on task hazard analysis forms as submitted by the Foremen.
- Ensure daily progress reports have been submitted by Foremen on shift.
- Other duties as assigned.
Employee and Talent Management
- Manage the day-to-day responsibilities of direct reports.
- Coach and develop direct reports and employees on site.
- Partner with Human Resources to align people strategies to business objectives.
- Conduct direct reports performance review plans and assessments.
What we are Looking For
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in construction management, engineering, or another relevant field
- 15+ years’ Industrial Construction and/or maintenance experience
- 10+ years’ construction experience in a supervisory capacity
- Excellent budgeting, costing and scheduling skills
- Strong computer skills, MS Office, MS Project, Procore, SAP
- Strong leadership skills with experience managing all disciplines, internal employees and external sub-trades
- Ability to inspire trust in difficult situations by instilling confidence and engaging people on matters that affect them
- Ability to forge, grow and maintain positive relationships
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and meet the time demands of unpredictable activities, capable of handling pressure and challenges
- Works within tight deadlines and prioritizes of work to achieve them
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, and a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills demonstrated through speaking to groups of employees on site, and communicating to a variety of stakeholders including clients, management, and site employees
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency and strong commitment to achieving goals; ability to work in challenging, fast paced environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
We Put Safety First
A healthy and safe work environment is non-negotiable. We build a culture of operational and psychological safety through engagement, learning and leadership.
We Lead With Honesty
We speak and act with integrity, clarity and care so people can trust our word and our work. Being honest means we can deliver the best outcomes and consistent results.
We Are Stronger Together
Success is a team effort. Our inclusive workplace enables our combined expertise, humility and creativity to unlock our greater potential.
We Are Driven To Do Great Work
We built our name on quality. We have a passion for excellence in our work and relationships that honours our businesses and our industry.
We Create Opportunity
Rooted in a solid foundation, we adapt and grow to face the future. We are committed to elevating each other to chart the best path forward in an evolving world.